Even the men of the merry green woods like a roof to get under every now and then! This colorful cottage uses a new woodwork concept – if you’re wondering exactly how it’s done, just keep reading!
Not too long ago, I experimented with a new technique for late medieval style walls – at least, I had never seen it elsewhere. After a bit of experimentation to get the feel for it, I was able to use it in the Forestman’s Cottage below.
I like my LEGO houses to feature a bit of color, and decided to do light blue on the bottom floor for this one. Green vines and pink flowers help to liven it up a lot too.
Although I built this from the ground floor up, we’ll break it down in the opposite direction, starting with the roof.
It’s a simple technique that doesn’t actually attach in this case but nonetheless is very stable.
Taking it off, you can see the unadorned inside of this build. Not pretty, but it gets the job done.
The two stories are fairly easy to dismantle since there are only eight connecting studs. This would have been especially useful if I had chosen to do furnished interiors. Notice the sand green hands used to attach the vines.
As we remove the top layer, you’ll notice that we’re looking at quite a few anti-studs. This is going to play into the unique woodwork in just a minute!
The layer of plain brown that’s inside serves the double purpose of conserving the studs-up configuration and of providing a solid background for the windows. Generally, when I decide not to include an interior for my house, I make a point of providing a backing for my windows… otherwise at certain angles you might be able to see the messy inside walls. Notice that I was careful to black out the bottom story windows too.
Here we have the top story without the roof. A pretty sturdy cube of LEGO bricks!
Each outer wall is attached by a corner brick.
Taking those off allows us to remove the entire panel section. All the panels came off with the top piece, but when building, it’s a good idea to attach them to the bottom first.
So after dismantling that, we have a cube of standard brown bricks and four outer wall pieces.
The bottom story is quite messy… I don’t have very many 1×1 tan plates, and the ones I do have are currently being borrowed by one of my brothers… so I had to make do with 2x1s instead.
The building attaches rather loosely to the base via just one stud.
A little vegetation and we were good to go!
If you enjoyed this breakdown, you might want to check out the following similar posts: