Close on the heels of Zap comes another dragon, this one sporting a red and brown color-scheme with singed black wings!
I built Flame in one day, and while I think the body turned out well, the head is slightly lacking as even I’d be forced to admit. I’m really not sure whether more time would have improved it, or whether it was just another case of LOP disease (Lack Of Parts), but in any case it does leave somewhat to be desired.
I went for a ribbed look along the sides with the brown curved pieces, and also tried to keep the coloring consistent with trans-orange on the bottom, then red, brown, and dark brown. This may kind of reverse the usual tendency of darker colors on the bottom and brighter colors on top, but after all we do see animals with the lighter colors on the underside often enough!
The sails in this case were made out of a stiff black paper, crumpled and then attached to the wings… and then I took a match to it. 😀 As a matter of fact, I took probably 30 or so matches to the two wings. I wanted to get a more authentically ragged look and was fairly successful with that I think! In fact I think these wings turned out considerably better than the others.
After building Zap, who had an upside-down middle segment, I decided I’d definitely do studs up construction for this dragon… but so much for plans. I liked the way the reverse catapults looked so I spend the next twenty minutes or more figuring out how to flip everything else!
Like Zap, Flame is a fun dragon to play around with… but I do think it might be a while before you see another dragon from me!
If you enjoyed this post, you might also want to check out: